COVID-19/School Operations Updates
We are closely monitoring the spread of the virus. The safety of our St. Michael’s community is our top priority and we are grateful for our partnership with our families as we work to keep our community healthy. We are completely confident in our wonderful community’s ability to adapt and thrive during these challenging times. As we navigate the pandemic together, let us be intentional about patience, kindness, grace, and love, as these epitomize our DRAGONS’ values — the foundation of our St. Michael’s community.
Mask Changes at St M
Per our above letter to families on February 8, St. Michael’s will adopt a “mask optional” policy for students beginning on February 23, 2022.
Important Items to Note:
- Our faculty and staff will NOT monitor mask usage or lack thereof on behalf of a family. It is the full responsibility of the student to wear a mask if that is the family’s desire.
- In keeping with our DRAGONS’ values, please strongly reinforce with your children to be kind and respectful of the choices of others.
- We ask that every child have TWO MASKS in a plastic bag in their backpacks at all times as students may be asked to wear masks at large assemblies, chapel, and the like.
- Faculty and staff are still required to mask indoors unless eating or drinking per Virginia Department of Labor and Industry (DOLI) regulations. For consistency, we ask that ALL ADULTS, campus visitors, and parent volunteers wear masks on campus and when volunteering indoors with our students.
- As always, if your child is sick in any way, please keep them at home.
Protocols for Responding to A Known Covid Exposure (Updated January 18, 2022)
Effective January 18, 2022, St. Michael’s is implementing shorter quarantine periods/adjusting who must quarantine to align with new CDC and VDH guidance.
- All final COVID protocol responses are at the discretion of Nurse Maben and Mr. Gregg.
- St. Michael’s continues to STRONGLY ADVOCATE for COVID vaccines.
- Quarantine requirements currently differ for those that are exposed depending upon vaccination status.
- If vaccination status is NOT on file in our Magnus Health portal, we will assume unvaccinated. Details below.
COVID-19 Reporting Form
Please inform the School IMMEDIATELY via the COVID-19 Reporting Form link below if someone in your family has been exposed or is being tested for COVID-19. The confidentiality of the diagnosed student or teacher will be maintained.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you submit your COVID reporting form AFTER HOURS or ON A WEEKEND, please keep your child HOME until you hear from Nurse Maben on the next school day.
Mid-Year Parent Update Meeting Summary- January 18
Thank you to all who tuned in to our Mid-Year Update Zoom meeting on January 18. We hope you found the presentation informative and helpful. A written summary of the meeting may be found below. Please note the included updates on our COVID mitigation policies.
Pandemic Policies for the Start of the 2021-22 School Year
A COMMUNITY COMMITMENT
REMEMBER… your off-campus choices can affect the entire St M community. We urge you to continue to prioritize safe health practices (masks, physical distancing, hand-washing, limiting larger group sizes) so that we have the best chance of keeping our community healthy and our school doors open. We cannot overstate how important this is.
It is also important that parents and caretakers understand the effect their own behavior can have on children. As calm begets calm, modeling calmness and optimism, as well as maintaining normal routines as best as families can in these unusual times, will help children feel more at ease. Thank you for supporting us and each other—the St. Michael’s community remains as resilient and caring as ever. For that, we couldn’t be more grateful!
2021-22 Back to School Blueprint
St. Michael’s intention is to start the school year in accordance with the 2021-22 Academic Calendar, with a goal of resuming normal operations for in-person teaching and learning with amended COVID protocols. Below please find a summary of the May 10 parent call to review our plans. We will continue to evaluate all summer and will make any updates as needed and recommended.