Extending the Day
St. Michael’s strives to meet the needs of children and families beyond the traditional school day. A number of scheduling options provide for care before and after-school and during school holidays. St. Michael’s offers both Lower School and Middle School Extended Day programs. Questions? Please contact Ashley Buffey, Director of Extended Programs, at [email protected]
2020-21 School Year Extended Day PANDEMIC POLICIES
- Early drop off space will be created based on family need. If you are assigned to this program, you will report to the gym loop and follow all outlined carpool/campus entry procedures regarding temperature checking and intake.
- No drop-in or casual Morning Gym use will be permitted until COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted.
- The program continues to be free of charge and will be capped at 120 students— the number that allows for 6 feet of physical distance in the gym. Outdoor spaces will be used as much as possible.
- In an effort to reduce the number of visitors to campus, we will not offer our Afterschool Enrichment program in-person this Fall. This will be re-evaluated on a seasonal basis.
- A limited number of virtual offerings will be available to you for one-on-one music lessons through Greater Richmond School of Music this Fall.
- Drop-ins will be eliminated from the program in an effort to adhere to Virginia Department of Social Services mandates for strict cohorting and physical distancing. All students not picked up at their assigned time and not registered for Extended Day will await parent pick up in the Green Loop with a member of our carpool team.
Our Extended Day team will provide morning or afternoon childcare for families that fit into the priority matrix outlined in our August 2020 School Reopening Plan.
- Note: Given licensing and health/safety restrictions, we may not be able to accommodate all families in need of childcare. There are other nuances to these categories that can be explained in more detail by our Extended Programs Director.
In a non-pandemic year, below is an overview of our typical Extended Day program:
Extended Day Policies
Free Before-School Care for K-8th Grade
St. Michael’s is now pleased to offer FREE early morning gym care for all students (K-8) beginning at 7:20 a.m. in the Singleton Campus gym. No need to sign-up, just drop-off children when it is helpful to you.
After-School Care -LOWER SCHOOL:
The Lower School Extended Day Program is offered to kindergarten through fifth grade students from St. Michael’s. As St. Michael’s is in the process of setting a fall school reopening plan (based on Governor and CDC mandates/guidelines), these hours and pricing options are subject to change. Registration for Extended Day will be announced later this summer.
Afternoon Extended Day is offered from 3-6 p.m. every day that school is in session. On early dismissal days, we are open from dismissal time until 6 p.m.
Program highlights include supervised study halls reinforcing good study, organizational, and time-management skills, as well as facilities providing opportunities for students to play outdoors and indoors (during inclement weather). Our mission is to provide each child with a positive, safe and enriching after-school experience, with particular emphasis on students socialization. The program is run out of the new Hubbard Hall.
- Full-day care will be offered on School clerical days from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. (See School calendar for dates.)
- Noon Dismissals: Extended Day is open early for all Noon Dismissals (from dismissal time until 6 p.m.)
- Extended Day is CLOSED on the following school holidays: Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Presidents’ Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, and Memorial Day.
School Vacation/Summer Programming: We offer additional programming during select School Vacations (Spring Break and Summer 2019) with advanced registration at an additional cost provided. NOTE: Minimum number of participants required with advance registration for vacation/camp programs to be held.
Pricing: See enrollment contract ABOVE for 2019-2020 pricing. We offer 2-day, 3-day and 5-day care options.
Need afternoon care only occasionally? Families in need of a single day of Lower School after-school childcare from time to time may take advantage of a daily rate of $20 from 3-4:30 p.m. or $35 from 3-6 p.m., both require 24-hours notice. (Rates subject to change.)
After-School Care -MIDDLE SCHOOL:
As St. Michael’s is in the process of setting a fall school reopening plan (based on Governor and CDC mandates/guidelines), these hours and pricing options are subject to change. Registration for Extended Day will be announced later this summer.
Understanding our families have busy schedules, the School’s goal with Extended Programs at the Middle School is to provide a safe and enjoyable space for students to be after school to study, grab a snack, wait for practice to begin or just relax after a full day. Middle School Extended Day is now available Monday-Friday from 3-6 p.m. Two, three, and five-day options are available. See enrollment contract above for pricing and additional information.
Due to the vast co-curricular offerings at the Middle School (e.g., athletics, theater, etc.), enrollment in the Middle School Core Extended Day program is done seasonally (fall, winter, spring) rather than annually. This certainty in enrollment will allow St. Michael’s to staff properly and extend the option of care this year until 6:00 p.m.
- NOTE: Middle School pick-up until 4:30 p.m. takes place in the Allen Library in Singleton Hall. Pick-up AFTER 4:30 p.m. takes place in the Hubbard Hall Library. Parents must walk inside to pick up students and sign out with the staff members on duty.
Need care only occasionally? Drop-ins are $20 until 4:30 p.m. or $35 until 6 p.m. A MINIMUM NOTICE OF 24-HOURS IS REQUIRED.
Enrichment and Co-Curricular Activities
St. Michael’s believes that important learning also happens outside the classroom with purposeful exposure to a broad variety of activities and experiences. That is why we offer inclusive co-curricular, robotics and sports opportunities for our students at both campuses.
These activities not only serve the needs and interests of our students, but also help our families extend the day with enriching after-school activity options. From fishing, martial arts and chess, to mountain biking, FIRST LEGO league robotics, coding, drama productions, yoga and an array of interscholastic and intramural sports, St. Michael’s offers a variety of fun and educational after-school experiences.
Click below for a season listing of enrichment, sports and co-curricular activities at St. Michael’s.